One of my favorite ways to burn calories and build muscle at the gym is with Battle Ropes. This may be one of the most unknown and underutilized pieces of equipment in the gym. Which is great in a way because they are almost always available and your gonna get a killer burn. On average you can burn up to 10 calories per minute during a Battle Ropes session. Here is a great Battle Ropes workout to get your heart pumping and your muscles burning.
Perform each movement for 30 seconds followed by 30 seconds of rest before moving onto the next movement. After completing all 6 movements, rest for 2 minutes than repeat. Complete 4 rounds of all 6 movements.
- Alternating Wave – Stand with your feet a little more than shoulder width apart and bend your knees into an athletic position with chest up and shoulders slightly back. Alternate movements up and down with your arms causing the ropes to make a wave pattern down both ropes.
- Double Arm Slams – Holding the ropes with both hands, bring both ropes above your head then with both arms slam them to the ground creating a wave pattern down both ropes.
- Alternating Wave Lunges – This is the same movement as the alternating wave with an added lunge movement. As you perform an alternating wave movement lung laterally (right to left) at the same time.
- Burpee Slams – This is more difficult version of the double arm slams. This time, jump as you raise your hands above your head and slam the ropes as you land. Perform 3 jump slams then a burpee and repeat.
- Circles – Standing in the same athletic position as the alternating wave, hold both ropes and perform arm circles rotating outwards with both arms for 15 seconds, then switch to inward circles for 15 seconds.
- Jacks – Hold both ends of the ropes and take a couple steps towards the anchor so you have some slack. While holding a rope in each hand perform standard jumping jacks.
Give this Battle Ropes workout a try and let us know what you think!
Don’t have access to Battle Ropes? Try out a Club 24 near you with a free 7 Day fit pass. We have Battle Ropes available at all locations.